Friday, September 28, 2007

Excel 2007 Calculation Bug

Earlier this week, reports surfaced of a strange error in Excel 2007 which caused calculations involving the number 65,535 (and thereabouts) to return wildly inaccurate results.

You can try it for yourself in Excel by multiplying 850 by 77.1. Excel will return 100,000 instead of 65,535. Similar operations that should return 65,535 will also come back incorrect, and there's a problem with 65,536, too. The problem is only present in Excel 2007; earlier versions of Excel are not affected.

Microsoft has traced the problem back to a floating point issue and how results are displayed within a cell in Excel. Microsoft says the calculation is actually done correctly, it's just that when it comes time to show the result on screen, Excel chokes. For example, if you multiply that "100,000" above by 2 and put the answer in a new cell, you'll get 131,070, not 200,000. However, this isn't reliable either: Try adding one and you get 100,001, not 65,536.

Microsoft says a fix is on the way and is in the final stages of testing. I'll update this post when the patch is available; hopefully Windows Update will also push it down automatically. We'll see.

Does anyone try it before ?

Source :
- Excel 2007 Stricken with Bizarre Calculation Bug
- Calculation Issue Update

4 comments:

NafaSg said...

Hi Sani,

Excellent post. Good tips. Anyway you are invited to post on a tag about Search Engine Optimization.

Here is the url http://nafasg.blogspot.com/2007/10/tips-for-successful-search-engine.html

Thank you.. looking forward to your participation...have a great day..

Anonymous said...

wah, blom pernah nyoba office 2007 ... ^^ masih cukup puas pake yang 2003 ... ^^

Adite said...

wuih beneran ya MO2007 ada cacatnya gitu....

duh saya masih setia ma 2003.. ori sih

Anonymous said...

Hi I am so delighted I found your web site, I really found you
by mistake, while I was researching on Google for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would
just like to say thanks a lot for a remarkable post and a all round entertaining blog (I also
love the theme/design), I don't have time to read it all at the moment but I have book-marked
it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more,
Please do keep up the excellent work.

My web-site :: Mflb