Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Solving Error 1304

I've recently try to uninstall one of microsoft software and this error showed up.

Error 1304. Error writing to the file File name and location. Verify that you have access to that directory.

I've checked the permission issue, but everything was OK. I try to create and delete some files in that directory and there's no problem with that. Still received the same error after restarting the PC.

Next I try to Add/Repair the software and still displaying the same error.

After desperate for three hours, later on I try to replace the troubling file by downloading the same file from the internet (it's a dll file).

And it took me by surprised because I neither delete nor rename the file!
Now I really understand what the error message try to tell me. How stupid of me!

The way to solve this problem is by running the chkdsk utility from windows XP. You can find that menu by right click on your hard drive properties, select the Tools tab and click Check Now button. Check mark both option and click Start. It will display a message that chkdsk will be perform after restarting the windows XP. Just restart the windows and the system will perform the check disk procedure.

In my case, chkdsk will repair the trouble file that I'm having.

After chkdsk finish, I can continue uninstall the software smoothly. Whew ..

No comments: